- SOFIA Overview
- Proposing & Observing
- Meetings and Events
SOFIA Town Hall
Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 6:30pm to 7:30pm PST
2019 Winter AAS in Seattle, Washington
SOFIA provides the international community with open access to mid- and far-infrared observations with a broad range of instruments, as well as a unique platform for instrument and technology development.
The Town Hall will discuss several important new developments for the observatory including:
- Using Strategic Director’s Discretionary Time
- Cycle 7 SOFIA Legacy Programs
- SOFIA Next Generation Science Instrument Call
- SOFIA five-year Flagship Mission Review
In addition to communicating the current status and plans by the SOFIA program, this Town Hall will allow direct feedback by the SOFIA user community regarding current operations and future plans.
The Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA) continues to provide to the international community open access to mid- and far-infrared observations with a broad range of instruments. SOFIA is in its 6th observing cycle and starts the 7th cycle in May 2019.
SOFIA also provides a unique platform for instrument and technology development, as illustrated both by the ongoing upgrades of existing SOFIA instruments and an active new instrument program.
In this Town Hall meeting, we will discuss several important new developments for the observatory including these topics:
- Using Strategic Director’s Discretionary Time (SDDT), SOFIA made highly relevant observations in the last months. The SOFIA Science Center immediately made fully reduced datasets available to the community. There will be an overview over the datasets to encourage the astronomical community to analyze the observations and use them for their research.
- Cycle 7 introduces SOFIA Legacy Programs (SLPs). They offer on the order of 100 hours of observations over 2 years and encourage the proposal teams to deliver enhanced data products to the community. We will discuss the response of the community to the call for SLPs and regular programs.
- The SOFIA Next Generation Science Instrument Call solicited step-1 proposals with a due date on August 1st. We will report on the proposal selection and the status of the subsequent implementation of Instrument Concept Studies.
- In 2019, SOFIA will undergo a 5 year Flagship Mission Review. The implications and SOFIA’s preparations for the review will presented during the Town Hall.
In addition to communicating the current status and plans by the SOFIA program, this Town Hall will allow direct feedback by the SOFIA user community regarding current operations, future plans.